In order to help you interpret the usage of eBooks which have been made available Open Access through Knowledge Unlatched we have compiled some usage reports for your institution and your region. As you may realise there are certain challenges when evaluating the usage of Open Access content and this cannot be compared
with more traditional use of “closed” eBooks.
As of 2017Q3 we provide download data from both the OAPEN and JSTOR platform. This of course does not recognise any downloads which are passed on from user to user (perfectly legal due to the nature of OA content).
We would like to ask you to bear the following points in mind when examining the current usage data:
• Usage from the OAPEN platform is measured on a full book level (not chapter level) and includes downloads from within the institution, based on IP-ranges.
• However as users often work outside of their institutions’ networks, we also record regional usage (so-called geolocational data), which captures all the downloads within a specific region that take place both on, as well as, off-campus.
• Data is currently available for titles from the Pilot, Round 2 and KU Select 2016 collections.
• As of 2017Q1 a select number of KU titles have been available on the JSTOR platform. The 2017Q3 reports will for the first time include download statistics from the JSTOR platform. Unlike OAPEN, JSTOR measures downloads on a chapter level.
• We continue to work on having as many KU titles as possible included on the JSTOR platform.
• Data is currently available for a select number of KU titles from the Pilot & Round 2 collections.
If you have any questions or feedback regarding usage data of KU titles please use the chat function to contact us.