Metadata and files for your book titles can be shared via the KU publisher portal (app.knowledgeunlatched.org). The following metadata and format standards are highly recommended by KU to ensure your Open Access titles live up to industry standards allowing for book titles to be widely disseminated and discoverable as Open Access.
- PDF file (and EPUB where available) or ZIP (for chapter files)
- Title may also be produced and sold as a print edition
- The PDF file contains the complete work (cover, frontmatter, backmatter)
- The PDF is bookmarked and searchable
- The PDF file contains a reference to the Creative Commons license and the copyrightholder (usually the authors), and if available to the sponsor
- The complete work receives a DOI and an ISBN, it is desirable to assign DOIs at chapter level
- DOIs for figures and tables are desirable
Metadata - including at least:
- title - subtitle - series title - volume number
- authors/editor names - ORCID (if possible) - university affiliation at the of publication
- publication date - publisher
- ISBN(s) - DOI - Creative Commons attribution
In case the book title is part of one of the KU-sponsored collections (for instance "KU Select"), we recommend to refer to the institutional and library community working with Knowledge Unlatched to promote the fact that the title has been made available Open Access thanks to institutional funding. For instance, by using the following text:
Please als find the free text here:
An electronic version of this book is freely available, thanks to the support of libraries working with Knowledge Unlatched. KU is a collaborative initiative designed to make high quality books Open Access for the public good. The Open Access ISBN for this book is XXXXXXXXXXXXX. More information about the initiative and links to the Open Access version can be found at www.knowledgeunlatched.org
The KU logo used in this image is available here. A text and image referring to the respective license is available below.
In case you have any questions on Metadata and Format standards, or would like to know more about additional recommendations on this topic, please get in touch with us directly.
Discovery & Account Manager