The standard usage reporting for unlatched titles is carried out every quarter for unlatched titles. Publishers and Institutions subscribing to KU Open Analytics have unlimited access to create these usage reports, as well as visual PDF reports.
The usage reporting follows the metric definitions as defined by COUNTER R5. More information can be found here on the COUNTER website or from the image below (source COUNTER, 2017):
The metrics reported on in the OA book reports include:
Metric type: Investigations
- total_item_investigations = the total number of times a content item or information related to a content item was accessed. For example, this includes abstract views or table, chapter views or content views.
- unique_item_investigations = the number of unique content items (e.g. chapters) investigated by a user. For example, this metric includes chapter views.
- unique_title_investigations = the number of unique titles (e.g. books) investigated by a user. For example, this includes viewing the abstract of a book.
Metric type: Requests
- total_item_requests = the total number of times the full text of a content item was downloaded or viewed. For example, this includes all the chapter downloads, irrespective of whether a user
- unique_item_requests = the number of unique content items (e.g. chapters) requested by a user. For example, this includes a chapter PDF download.
- unique_title_requests = the number of unique titles (e.g. books) requested by a user. For example, this includes a full-text book download or single book PDF download.
Please find below an example provided by COUNTER (2017) regarding the counts, which can be translated for books by treating a journal title as a books and an article as a book chapter.
The availability of the metric depends on the platform, as well as the level of compliance. The following compliance levels exists:
- COUNTER R5
- COUNTER R4
- non-COUNTER compliant